Friday, April 17, 2009

Introduce myself and background

My name is Elayne. I am 30 years old. I live in upper westchester, NY. I have struggled with my weight for a very very long time. I've been married for going on 2 years and my husband and I were looking to have children. My sister has suffered from Polycystic Ovary Syndrome and when we wanted to start to have kids, found out that I had it too. (if you click on the link above it will open a page to Webmd.com describing the syndrome)

My husband and I met with a reproductive endocronologist and worked with fertility medications in order to make myself ovulate. We started slowly with Clomid of varying strengths and moved up to injectable medications, trying both Follistim AQ and Menopur, and daily blood work to check estrogen levels and internal ultrasounds to measure follicles. Neither medication worked and the doctor informed us that it was because of my weight. She suggested weight loss surgery.

So we did some research online and with friends that have had surgery. We located NYU Medical Center in NYC and went for an information seminar in January 2009. We decided that we liked this facility and the surgeon we elected is Dr. Marina Kurian.

According to the insurance company (Aetna) we need 6 months of medically supervised weight loss attempts for coverage. So I've seen the doctor in January and weighed in at 340 lbs. More than I realized, and this just confirmed for me that weight loss surgery was the right decision. After must research I opted for gastric bypass instead of lap band. I know people that have had the bypass that I can lean on for support but no one with the band.

In February I weighed in at 326 lbs and March 318 lbs but I'm not 100% sure of the doctor's scale because I weighed in at 334 lbs in April. I don't think that I gained 16 pounds in a month or it's possible that I didn't lose that much previously. There's really no way to find out.

In March I also met with a psychologist, as a part of the insurance and surgical requirements. In April I met with the surgeon and now I have to do 2 more months of medically supervised diet and then I will get my surgery date.

I am a little frustrated at this point, with the waiting. I did a lot of research and talked to a lot of people and I feel like I am ready to make this commitment to myself and to the surgery so I can have a family and be healthier and live longer.

Hopefully the next 2 months fly by and I will update with more information when I have it!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wJ2AoWC/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wJ2AoWC/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

No comments:

Post a Comment